Monday, September 22, 2008

Let's hear it for the sisters!

I had the honour of joining a handful of men in support of the "Take Back the Night March" last Thursday (September 18), an annual resounding "NO!" to violence against women in our community, in our nation & in the world. And it was women saying "NO" loudly and clearly, taking charge of the issue and organizing to roll back direct and systemic violece against women. I am blessed with a partner and three stepdaughters who continue to be my teachers and models on women's issues. So, I was privileged to join my partner last night at Kitchener City Hall in support of the sisters & the Kitchener-Waterloo Sexual Assault Support Centre who stand tall in publicizing the issue and in providing solid support for victimized women on an inadeqate budget and far too few supporters I was sddened by how few men were present to lend support, since we guys are the bulk of "the problem." How sad it is when this powerful event was not heightened on page 1 of "The Record", & sadder yet is the fact that beside the article on "Take Back the Night" was this headline: "Kitchener Man convicted of sex asaults on pregnant wife."




Musings from the desk of Oz.
Visit my website at http://www.ozcole-arnal.ca

No comments: