Thursday, September 25, 2008

Campaign Open House Address

On Saturday evening (September 20) three of our local riding associations opened our shared campaign office for refreshments & an opportunity to meet the three candidates. Since I was quite sick my dear Bonnie read my letter of regret to the assembled group. I enclose the text below:

Dear Sisters an Brothers,

Sadly I am unable to be with you tonight to celebrate the opening of our three-fold campaign office. On top of an earlier back spasm, I have been laid low by a stomach flu. So I send greetings through my cherished friend and partner Bonnie.

Even more intensely than before and especially as the campaign heats up, I stand solidly behind the platfrom and dreams of our New Democratic team both nationally and locally. One journalist called Jack "cheeky" when he said, "I'm applying for the job of prime minister." What! When the polls give us less than 20%! Yep, it is "cheeky"! We are the "cheeky" party. We've bucked odds for 75 years since that rag-tag bunch called the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation was born in Regina. Without us and our "cheekiness" we would not have Medicare and oher people programs.

So here we go again in the Fall of 2008----taking on the corporations, the banks, he two big-money parties and the polls. How do we help Jack become prime minister in these three ridings, two called safe for incumbents Telegdi and Redman and Ktchner-Conestoga called a "no-chance for us? We do it b dropping our personl turf battles, by stretching our resources of time and money to pound the pavements, by reaching out to our despairing base of voter--- workers, minorities, environmentalists,women, the poor, middle-class idealists (all tose forgotten by the elite and powerful and their political friends). If we're "cheeky" enough to embrace the marginalized of our society and their needs loudly and clearly, then we're "cheeky" enough to win all three ridings.

Though my body prevents me from being with you, Bonnie brings you this letter and my heart.

Shalom & Solidarity,
Oz




Musings from the desk of Oz.
Visit my website at http://www.ozcole-arnal.ca

No comments: