Wednesday, October 22, 2008

SOME ELECTION REFLECTIONS

After a hectic grueling campaign, I offer a few personal reflections before we have our campaign debriefing and analysis:

1. It was an exceedingly worthwhile experience, although I remain convinced that a younger candidate, preferably a woman &/or a minority would have been preferable.

2. I think I did reasonably well but am forced to admit that gains remained elusive. Once again we flat-lined, perhaps even declined some.

3. Although I'm shocked, even saddened, to see the departure of Andrew Telegdi (if he doesn't win the recount) & Karen Redman, I affirm loudly & resolutely that so-called strategic voting renders both the NDP and the nation poorer. Such a "strategic vote" weakens a people's party inevitably & in the long haul benefits the corporate elite.

4. I remain convinced that our strategy of galvanizing the non-voter (especially the poor & marginalized non-voter) & linking it with our existing base was the way to go. Lack of time & other factors did not lead to success in this strategy.

5. My hope for the future is that our party in Kitchener Centre will cease to be solely an electoral group but will instead begin to build a younger, more mixed downtown social movement.





Musings from the desk of Oz.
Visit my website at http://www.ozcole-arnal.ca

No comments: